The Truth” with a capital ‘T’ is what the Watchtower (the formulator of all Jehovah’s Witnesses’ beliefs) rather presumptuously calls its doctrines.
What would it mean if “The Truth” were really true?
Here are the first ten things that popped into my mind:
- Humankind would’ve been in existence no more than about 6,000 years, instead of the 200,000 years for which we have evidence for our modern human existence, and the 7-8 million years of our hominid ancestors. In addition, all of the fossil evidence would be false: either put there by Satan or as part of a world-wide conspiracy of scientists determined to undermine our faith.
- The universe would’ve been created by an angry, vain, war god (the “God of armies“) of an ancient, barbaric middle-eastern tribe. And this god would’ve done things in the wrong order: creating all of the plants at least 7,000 years before the Sun [or at least before allowing the Sun’s rays to reach the surface of the Earth.] Plants, along with everything else on this Earth, depend upon the Sun for life. But I guess this god had never heard of photosynthesis.
- The creator of the universe would be inept. We already mentioned this regarding the plants. But the doctrines of “The Truth” depict this god’s ineptness as virtually boundless. For instance: although he knew every detail of all the suffering that would be caused by his turning rulership of the Earth over to Satan, he did so anyway, with the excuse that he didn’t want to interfere with human freewill. But he then went on to violate human freewill whenever he had the whim to do so. Three quick examples:
- Forcing people to speak and understand new languages — but no longer their original language — in order to interfere with their coming together on a building project. (Gen 11:1-9)
- Hardening Pharaoh’s heart and that of his men in order for Jehovah to show-off by committing mass murder on a spectacular scale. (Ex 7:3-5; 14:17-18)
- Giving Saul a “new heart” — “changing his heart to be like that of someone else” so that he was “changed into a different person.” (1 Sam 10:6,9)
But perhaps this god’s most glaring display of ineptitude is shown in the primary Watchtower doctrine of “the ransom sacrifice.” According to this doctrine, the god Jehovah first told humankind that sacrificing animals would cause him to forgive sin. But after hundreds of thousands of animals were sacrificed he admitted that this really had no affect on him whatsoever, and that it was all for show: foreshadowing how he intended from the start to have his own son murdered in order to eventually depose Satan and forgive humankind for a sin they hadn’t committed (in spite of the fact that this god had often forgiven serious sins without requiring a sacrifice to be made, and having declared that sons would not be punished for the sins of their fathers.)
He also had his son give up his freewill in this instance, as the Bible makes plain when it records his prayer in the garden of Gethsemane: “Not my will, but yours be done.” (Luke 22:42)
- All of the governments and religions of the world would have Satan as their head (despite the fact that “God’s word” declares “God” as their head), and every single politician and clergyman would be a wicked servant of the Devil.
- It would be an act of love to shun your children (should they ever disagree with the Watchtower.)
- The god Jehovah would rather see a baby die than receive a transfusion of whole blood, red cells, plasma or platelets (though he’s perfectly okay with transfusions of these blood products as long as they’re fractionated first — even though he neglected to mention any of these life-and-death details in his “word” the Bible.)
- It would be loving and just to murder babies — since that is what the god Jehovah (“the god of love and justice”) ordered done on numerous occasions, and is about to do again to hundreds of millions of non-Witness babies in Armageddon.
- It would be more important to protect an organization harboring pedophiles than the children whom they victimize.
- Although the sanctity of freewill is what got the human race into all this mess in the first place, the god Jehovah requires that we all surrender our freewill and obey his organization even if what they tell us seems wrong to us!
- Anyone who disagreed with any of the above (or any other teachings of the Watchtower, present or future) would be a mentally diseased servant of Satan.
If you’re not prepared to declare your belief in the truth of each and every one of the ten statements above, then you are not “in The Truth” — but you are truthful. Personally, I prefer being the latter; having the capacity for rational thought I can’t handle their “Truth.”
What would be in your top-ten list?
One thought on “What if “the truth” were true?”
Joseph Schmidt • 3 years ago
Um, the fossils are just random teeth they pretend are parts of larger animals or hominids. All the evidence IS part of a shadowy conspiracy by the evil cabal of scientists out to trick us into disbelieving in The Truth™. Stop being an apostate and wearing tight pants and listen to The Truth™!!!
Loveunderlaw • 3 years ago
JEHOVAH WITNESS CULT IS A MIND DESTROYING SOURCE OF NEVER ENDING EVIL, IF YOU ARE A RATIONAL THINKER THAT VALUES YOUR SANITY AVOID THIS GARBAGE LIKE THE PLAGUE !
Tamara • 3 years ago
God created all things…….. including Satan ? That has always puzzled me ……God made everything after his own image………….? So what does that meany?
Steve McRoberts Tamara • 3 years ago
Good questions! Yes, the Witnesses believe that God created Satan. He was originally named Lucifer (“Light Bearer”) but turned against God, becoming an opposer (Heb. “Satan”.) They blame this on freewill, once again (which turns out to be more of a curse than a blessing in their theology.)
More to the point, I would ask: Why would a loving god create such things as the smallpox virus (Variola major and Variola minor), and lentiviruses (responsible for HIV amongst other things).
Witnesses don’t believe that God made EVERYTHING in his image: just Adam (who, according to the Watchtower’s “Photodrama of Creation,” was originally both male and female until his rib operation.) They claim that being “in God’s image” is not to be taken literally, but rather that “man” was created with the same moral sense as God. But I think this is patently false; since Adam and Eve did not know right from wrong until after eating from the tree of the knowledge of good & evil, they certainly were NOT created with the same moral sense as God. So, we’re back to taking it literally: with God looking like the hermaphrodite Adam.
Tamara Steve McRoberts • 3 years ago
Hi Steve, Thanx to free will I left the organisation 18 years ago, after 18 years of indoctrination. I am very happy with the article you wrote, for sometimes you need to dig a little deeper to find out what (the F) really happened to you and what dammage was done. It takes some time to create a distance and an ‘eagles view’ (don’t know if that means the same in english as in dutch) to look at things in an objective manner. I was always puzzled about how could a god which is only good create a devil ? Seems not possible to me, unless you already have some evil inside of you. Same with the tree he planted in paradise. Why would you do such a thing ? Only answer I can imagine is an ‘devine’ Ego-issue, to prove something. And why would you do that if you are the almighty god? why bother?
Why create free will and then forbit people to use it (or repremand it so coldheartedly)
And if you have the REAL truth, why would they be so extremely scared that people inside JW go reading different books from different sources and talk to appostates ?
Steve McRoberts Tamara • 3 years ago
Greetings to you, Tamara!
You ask very good questions, indeed! Once a person starts asking questions (other than the ones they give you to ask at the bottom of Watchtower articles) it’s only a matter of time before they’re out the Kingdom Hall door and back into the real world!
Congratulations to you for having made that journey, and for already having enjoyed 18 years of freedom!
Marth Matica • 3 years ago
Shoot, maybe it is the truth! LOL, sounds like London and Washington, so in a way it is “the truth” of the situation, except it aint God running the show, it is bankers and warlords, lol. Just pop in “bankers and warlords” for “God”, and there you go: the current state of the world. Just pop in “depopulation” for “murder”, “kill” and “destroy” and so on.
Welcome my son, welcome to the [man made] machine.
Comments are closed.